IN THE NAME OF GOD
Shiraz University of Medical Sciences
Department of Parasitoloty and Mycology
The Parasitology and Mycology Department (formerly Parasitology section of Microbiology Department) established at Shiraz University of Medical Sciences in 1996.
Immunological aspects of experimental leishmanisis and development of immunodiagnostic tools for visceral leishmaniasis, toxoplasmosis and echinococcosis had been the main line of research in the Dept. of Microbiology through studies carried out by the
late Professor H.R Rezaei, late Professor S M Ardehali
and Professor M. Kabiri.
The curriculum of the department is updated and designed to meet the demands of post-graduate teaching and research on present problems of the region.
In 1996, the Department of Microbiolgy was divided into three independent disciplines namely Department of Parasitology and Mycology,
Department of Bacteriology and Virology and Department of Immunology.
The principal research of the Department of Parasitology and Mycology is mainly centered on the applied aspects comprising epidemiologic, experimental, biochemical and molecular investigations as well as diagnosis, control and chemotherapy.
The Department is involved in teaching, research, diagnostic services and consultative services.
(Version 2, 2003)
(Version 3, 2004)
Medical parasitology course
Staff of the Department take part in the following teaching programs:
1-Teaching parasitology and mycology to the students in the Schools of Medicine, Pharmacy, Dentistry as well as nursing, midwifery and paramedical students.
2-Teaching post-grduate students in the following programs:
· Research conducted by the Department of Parasitology is currently focused on the following:
Immunological aspects of cutaneous and visceral leishmaniasis
Charcterization of Leismania sp. using
· Different diagnostic procedures
Charcterization of Echinococcus
Epidemiological studies on water as a
possible source giardiasis in
· Nutritional consequences of infection
· Compative studies on drugs for chemothrapy
· Zoonotic aspects of parasite
· To compare staining techniques for the improvement of the diagnosis
· Epidemiological studies in final host
· The sero-epidemiology of toxocariasis in human population
· Making E/S antigens for sero-diagnosis of the disease
Recovery and identification of Lingutula serrta in different hosts
Studies on zoonotic helminths mainly cestodes
· Diagnosis of parasites (Leishmania, malaria, intestinal protozoa, helminths and etc.) referred to the Dept.
· Counter Immunoelectrophoresis for hydatid cyst
· Culture of Strongyloides stercoralis larva
· Serology of Leishmania
· Diagnosis of fungal diseases
Contact : Tel/Fax e-mail
Dr. SM SADJJADI: +98 711 2305291 firstname.lastname@example.org
7. Q Asgari
S Kazemian, BSc
P Habibi MSPH
S Kamarlouei BSc
M Kalantari MSc
SMH Afsarian MSc
B Farhang Mehr
Other related web sites
Please send comments about
the PARASITO web pages to Dr S M Sadjjadi
This page has been constructed by SM SADJJADI